Saturday, July 31, 2004

Odds and Ends

Hit the local library used book sale this week and picked up a few interesting books:

Sturgeon is Alive and Well a short story collection by sci-fi author Theodore Sturgeon, he of Sturgeon's Law.

Humans by Mike Dowdall and Pat Welch, a book on Humans in the vein of the Brian Froud Fairy books, and the Gnome book.

Games People Play by Eric Berne, M.D., a book on Game Theory.

The Robber Bride and Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Siddharta by Herman Hesse

...and, the capper, a little book called Who F*rted, with what look like frames from old movies, like these two:


In the first picture it's obviously the woman in the background who's let the stinker, it's hard to tell in the scan, but you can tell it in her expression.

In the second picture it's the cop on the right. He's just a bit too standoffish.

I like that they felt the need to star out the a in Farted.


In the viewing department, I picked up The Osterman Weekend, a new addition to the Rutger Hauer DVD library, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. Nor have I had time to watch my new Christian cinema purchas Left Behind II: Tribulation Force and Judgment (Starring Corben Bernson and Mr. T).

Right now I'm reading Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins, and I'm finding it hard to get into. I'm about a third of the way in and the story is just now starting to pick up after what amounted to a crapload of exposision and character building. So far it's my least favorite of his books that I've read.

I'm also starting Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut and the aforementioned Siddharta by Herman Hesse (Cause it's short).

And in other news, my parents and my aunt were over yesterday picking up things for a yard sale they're having today, and what do they find in the shed? Two sets of Yard Darts. Deadly fun. I was looking around on the net for information on them, and I like the story of the guy who bought a set and then did the game he played with them as a child of throwing them straight up as high as he could and then running out from under them as the hurtled down. I remember doing much the same thing, though I think much better of it now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...