Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Students are Back

You know, every summer I am lulled into complacency by the relative lack of college students in town, then when school starts on the fall semester and on my morning drive home I am forced to sit in traffic at 7:30 in the morning waiting on and watching out for every new freshman with a car that is trying to get ot that 8:00 class and doesn't understand that you leave an HOUR early for your first class at least.

Why do I assume they are all freshman? Because after my first year of required classes I didn't sign up for anything before 11:00am. My schedule most days started at 11:00 and ran solid until about 4 and then I was out for the day. I even got it so that one semester I only had class for three hours a day except for one day (Monday I think it was) where I was in class from 11 until 9 at night, with the only breaks being 15 minute ones where I had to get my ass from one side of campus to the other. The good thing was that on Thursday and Friday I had only one class.

My point is that they need to learn to schedule their classes for times that I am already home and trying to sleep.

I learned the lesson quickly, and it is the reason that I didn't take ethics in Journalism school (the only session was at 8:00 in the morning with a final that was at 7 am). I'll just do without thank you.

As an aside, on my way home I saw one driver coming from campus who looked so much like wrestler Kevin Sullivan that I was startled for a moment. He was driving a beat up old hatchback that was more rust than metal. I also saw a guy driving an old pickup truck who was either wearing one of those ruffled colar Italian Renaissance tunics, or a car's air filter around his neck. I'm leaning towards the filter, at least that's pretty original.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...