Saturday, August 09, 2003

Maybe This Should Be Called BigStupidBill

I think all of you out there know that I’m a pretty forgetful person. I remember the important stuff, birthdays and whatnot (usually), I remember to put on pants most of the time when I go out, but sometimes things just slip my mind. I’m prone to overlooking things when I get distracted. The bad thing is how easily I get distracted.

For instance, earlier, whilst I was in the shower (Yes I do bathe occasionally), the whistling of the wind by my auditory orifices which sounded so much like the jug bands of my youth caused me to forget to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. I didn’t notice until I went to dry my hair, so intent on humming the good old timey melodies I was.

So the point is that I’m forgetful.

So Friday morning as I was getting off from work and about to get in my truck it wasn’t really that surprising when I couldn’t find my keys in any of my pockets. I finally found them after a few frantic minutes of searching, but unfortunately I found them hanging from the ignition of the truck.

After one of my trademark heavy sighs I headed back into the store to hunt for something to break into my vehicle with. Once at Food Lion I used a bailing wire to open a lady’s door when she locked in her keys with her car running, so I tried the same thing on my truck to no avail. I just couldn’t get the wire inside the door.

I went back into the store to borrow a screwdriver (since no one around me in the parkinglot had one available, I had one, but it happened to be inside the truck), and I saw a Police Officer shopping. I asked him if he could help, but he said that they weren’t allowed to unless there was a child or an animal in the car, or the car was running, and he suggested that I call the Sheriff’s department since they would do it.

After trying to break in with the screwdriver I decided to heed his advice, but the phone at work wouldn’t let me dial the number so I had to use the pay phone (apparently it costs sixty cents to call the 898 prefix from that pay phone, or it did me), and they sent an officer over.

I signed the waiver form and he went to work with a slim jim. He worked on the door for about 30 minutes before giving up. It seems that my truck is inordinately hard to break into, which is good most of the time, but not at that moment.

He called in to the station and asked if another officer who had the newer break in kit could come and help me.

The new kit consists of an airbag that is inflated in the crack of the door to widen the gap enough to slip through a teflon coated wire that is used to flip the lock inside the vehicle. That’s great if the airbag doesn’t have a hole in it, which the officer’s did.

Instead he used a wedge of plastic to open the door enough and after about twenty minutes he was able to open the door.

Total time spent sitting outside feeling like an idiot--Two Hours. Total money spent--sixty cents.

Much cheaper than the $45 I would have had to spend on a locksmith.

I think there is a good argument for getting a spare key here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...