Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Franken v. Fox News

Franken fires back at Fox suit



"From everything I know about law regarding satire, I'm not worried," liberal satirist Franken said in a statement issued by publishers Penguin Group.

Note to Fox News: You being in the media you should understand that the more of a stink that you make in the media regarding this book, the more it will sell and the more you will have to defend yourself against it.

Also, from my one whole semester of Media Law I believe that the title and cover of the book are protected under parody and satire rights. It is not up to Fox News to decide who is a humorist, popular or not.

Fox said in the suit that Franken flew into a rage near a table of Fox News personalities at a press correspondents' dinner in April and acted "either intoxicated or deranged."


If this is in reference to the televised panel that aired on C-Span, and I think that it is, I hate to tell Fox News, but O'Reily was just as much of a dick as Franken was. Neither of them came out looking golden on the show.

Also, Al researches his books just as much as Bill O'Reily does his, and I'm not defending Al, necessarily, he can be shrill and obnoxious, but it is his right as an American to be shrill and obnoxious if he wants to.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...