Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Comics Missed This Week

In what seems that it will be an ongoing weekly column, here are the comics that I missed this week due to the closing of my local comics store What It Is?:


Hellboy Weird Tales #5: I don't know who are the creators of this book this month, but this rotating short story anthology has been consistently good.

Animal Man, vol. 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB: I think this is the third volume of Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, and I would get it like the good completist that I am. The book is solid, if the art is a bit weak.

Life Eaters HC: The DC comics re-working of Captain America Meets Thor which was to have been published by Marvel. They removed the Marvel elements and re-worked it, and the result is a story about Hitler using magic to summon the Norse Gods to defeat the allies. The $29.95 price tag is a bit hefty though and I might have waited for the softcover.

Smax #3: I have to wait an extra year for this Alan Moore book, then I don't even get the third issue? That is some suck indeed. The story and art have been quite good on this one so far. I guess that I'll have to wait on the eventual trade.

Tom Strong's Terrific Tales #8: Another good book that I'll miss not getting, though not too much.

Daredevil #53: I think this issue is a continuation of the David "I'm an artist" Mack storyline about Echo, the deaf version of Elektra that he co-created.

Hulk Gray #1: To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the Spiderman Blue series that Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale did before this. I don't think it added anything new to the Spidey character. I really like Sale's artwork, and their collaborations on Batman are some of my favorite Batman stories. I think that this could be an interesting story, but probably won't do much.

New X-Men #148: Grant Morrison's run on X-men is quickly coming to a close (as is my buying of the title), and I would like to keep up. Magneto is back from the dead (again) and now he's a drug addict to the power boosting drug kick, which is probably going to end up killing him again. Grant said that this storyline will wrap up the X-Men for him and he's pushing to keep the newly not stuck up Cyclops as a lasting contribution to the X-men. This is the book that I'll miss most this week. Perhaps I'll be able to pick it up at Books-A-Million or Hastings in a couple of weeks when the newstands catch up.

Alan Moore's Yuggoth Cultures #1: More Moore goodness from Avatar Press. I guess I'll get the trade (if there is one) on this one as well.

Archie and Friends #76: Ya'll know I loves me some Betty.

More Box Office Poison, TPB: Alex Robinson's series about normal people and relationships is one of my favorite comic series ever. Each character is well drawn and the stories feel real. I though that the gigantor trade that came out from Top Shelf Comics re-printed the whole series, but I guess it didn't, or this is just some new work that Alex has done. Either way, I'm there.


That's a grand total of $83.62. Pretty stout week. To commemorate not being able to get those books I went out and bought The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick, and the Disinformation Company's Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult, ed. by Richard Metzger. The BOL looks pretty good even though I've read some of the stuff before (I have a couple of the books it excerpts and the opening piece is the first two parts of Pop Magic, which is at Grant Morrison's web site (that's a lot of links to morrison's site today). The Mitnick book I've been looking forward to ever since it was featured on Tech Tv's The Screensavers a few months back. It's about Cultural Engineering and how to do it and stop it.

Check back next week to see what comic fix I won't be getting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...