Monday, May 12, 2003

Henry Rollins suggests Slayer's Diabolus in Musica as good agressive driving music. I tend to agree on that one, but I'd like to add System of a Down's Toxicity to the list. I would never have guessed it when the single Chop Suey was being over-played on MTV a couple of years ago, but since they're on Rick Rubin's American Label, I thought I'd give them a chance, and boy howdie does it grow on you.

Since we're moving into the summer movie season that means that I'm beginning my once a week trip to the theatre now. This is two weeks in a row that I've been, though I haven't started the dining at Sonic that usually accompanies the trip.

Today's film was Identity, and it came with much praise from my fire-ball throwing friend Joey. I have to agree with him on this one, the film is quite good and did the monumental task of surprising me with one of its plot-twists. I figured out what was going on in the film pretty early on, but it got me to guess wrong on who the bad guy actually was. I fell for the obvious.

I won't ruin any of the twists of the film for you. Needless to say there's alot of rain and a motel which reminded me of the one from Joyride, which was a connection that was annoying me for most of the film until It occured to me that I was remembering Steve Zahn's death from one of the alternate endings of that film.

Identity has really good sound design, by the way. Also John Cusack. He's a good actor. Go see the film if you don't mind a bit of the cussing and the violence.

Trailer's of note were Allmighty Bruce, which sported a noticable lack of Jennifer Antison but still looks funny in that Jim Carrey kind of way. Morgan Freeman looks like he's playing God as Red from Shawshank Redemption. Also there was one for Pirate's of the Carribean. Hollywood "reporters" keep bringing up that movie Pirates in relationship to this one as a big budget pirate film that tanked, but really who believes Gina Davis as a pirate? Johnny Depp we can believe as anything.

The clip that blew me away though was for a film I've heard nothing about, Underworld. Looks like a Matrixy kung-fu with Vampires in leather and rubber kindof thing. I'm looking forward to it, even though it doesn't look very original. It comes out this fall.

Again, go see Identity, it needs the box-office bucks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...