Friday, April 04, 2003

More from the world of music. My favorite rapper who will disappear into obscurity in a couple of years, 50 cent, has a new performance video on MTV of his "hit" In Da Club from the MTV Spring Break.

Never, since the death of American Bandstand, have I seen such a poor lip-sync performance. He was like a Puttin on the Hits competitor that wasn't given any time to prepare, or that show on MTV where people did Karioke.

One thing that I find interesting is the hard work that his backup rappers did to keep the song going, I think that they were actually rapping, but most of his rap sounded like a recording, since it would go without his mouth being near the mike, or even moving for that matter. Also his voice and cadence were quite a bit different when he actually did rap "live" than the recording.

If all you do is rap, how many backup rappers do you need? It's a bit like the Spice Girls needing backup singers.

Of course all the people in the audience went crazy like the good little Pavlovian dogs that they are, singing parts of the song to the recording when prompted. They have obviously been raised on a diet of acts that come out and dance and lip sync to recordings (Backstreet and N*Sync anyone?).

Which brings me to my next topic, Sysco, or is it Sisco? It doesn't really matter since he has faded into obscurity now. I'm sure that he's hard at work crafting his next hit with superstar producers, but I saw his performance of the Thong Song on a re-run of Saturday night live, and let me tell you it was glorious. That little man can dance like Michael Jackson and sing like you wouldn't believe. He also busted out the human beat box bit. I was, of course, very impressed.

Do you think he realizes how silly most of his dancing looked? Probably not, it takes alot of self-dulding to be a pop star I think.

That's one of the reasons I like Henry Rollins. In an era of pop musicians who sing and dance and "keep it real" he manages to fly under the radar as the Rock and Roll Ninja that he is. His fans know he's there, no one else might, but we do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...