Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I really need to post my posts after I write them, but this is from two days ago.
brief movie review Iron Monkey

I picked up the original Chinese version of the DVD of this film used at Hastings today, and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than the version I saw in the theatre when it debuted in the U.S. The story has more depth here in the uncut version htan I recall in the version I saw before. I also prefer the original score to the one that was added later.

For those that don't know it's the story of the Iron Monkey, a Robin Hood like character who attempts to stop the transgressions of corrupt government officials using crazy wire-fu. It also tells the story of a young Wong Fei-Hung who is the character that Jet Li portrays in the Once Apon a Time in China series and, interestingly enough, Jackie Chan in the Drunken Master series.

Crisp wire-fu action from the master choreographer and director Yuen Woo Ping of Matrix fame. It also manages to be funny as well as action packed.


I seem to be on a Wesley Willis kick as I picked up the Wesley Willis Fiasco Live EP at the same time as the movie. I just happened to find it in the used section behind a Frank Zappa album I was looking at, a synchronicity if I do say so myself. The album definitely does whip a wild horse's ass.

I know you're all wondering what I'm reading right now, well I've still not picked Left Behind back up yet, but I'm about half way through Douglas Rushkoff's Coercion, which is about coercive techniques used by everyone from advertisers to religious groups to our own families. Quite informative stuff.

I'm also reading Dr. Leary's Tune In, Turn On and Drop Out. I like Leary's books, even though I'm not an LSD tripper.

I'm listening to Frank Zappa's Zoot Allures, the Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Robots and Blue Man Group's The Complex.

That is all for now.

Scream Dracula, Scream!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...