Friday, November 26, 2004

Snow Crash

I'm reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, and it's as fine a book as all the reviews would have me believe. It's a cyberpunkish book that is a bit, as the cover blurbs say, like Neuromancer crossed with Thomas Pynchon, only it ends up better than the two.

Here are some quotes that I like from the book:


...I don't know how my face conveyed the information, or what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her to accomplish this incredible feat. To condense fact from the vapor of nuance.

...

Hiro watches the large, radioactive, spear-throwing killer drug lord ride his motorcycle into Chinatown. Which is the same as riding it into China, as far as chasing him down is concerned.

...

"All people have religions. It's like we have religion receptors built into our brain cells, or something, and we'll latch onto anything that'll fill that niche for us. Now, religion used to be essentially viral--a piece of information that replicated inside the human mind, jumping from one person to the next. That's the way it used to be, and ultimately, that's the way it's headed right now. But there have been several efforts to deliver us from the hands of primitive, irrational religion. The first was made by someone named Enki about four thousand years ago. The second was made by the Hebrew scholars in the eighth century B.C., driven out of their homeland by the invasion of Sargon II, but eventually it just devolved into empty legalism. Another attempt was made by Jesus--that one was hijacked by viral influences within fifty days of his death. The virus was suppressed by the Catholic Church, but we're in the middle of a big epidemic that started in Kansas in 1900 and has been gathering momentum ever since."

...

Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.


Probably a full review coming later when I finish the book.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...