Monday, October 25, 2004

William Shatner Has Been

I mentioned William Shatner's new Album Has Been in an earlier post. I told you to go listen to the song "I Can't Get Behind That," and I still demand that.

I have come to realize after listening to this album many, many times in the last few days that this is one of the best collections of songs produced in the history of mankind.

It's a bit like that first Johnny Cash/Rick Rubin collaboration in that Ben Folds has taken what people would expect and turned it on it's ear.

The William Shatner that we know from the Priceline Commercials is here, but, while some of these songs are intentionally funny, there is also a surprising amount of what I think of as genuine emotion here. You get to hear Billy speak about his former wife's death, fears of growing old, becoming a joke, and even a funny little song about death.

There really aren't enough funny little songs about death out there.


Four Bobs

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...