Thursday, August 12, 2004

Meet the New Creed, Same as the Old Creed

As you all should know by now the Greatest Rock Band In The Last Decade, and perhaps ever, Rock Super-Group Creed have parted ways.

According to the rest of the band, lead singer Scott Stapp, is a bit hard to get along with and that caused the split.

According to Scott it's because he was taking steroids and became Fat Elvis:

Stapp: I was basically on [anti-inflammatory] Prednisone for the last six months of the Weathered tour, and it bloated me up like a beached whale. I looked like fat Elvis. I had a nodule on my vocal cord, too.


So it was steroids that make him an asshole, that's it! Whew, I'm glad that one's answered. Somebody call up Fred Durst and David Cross and tell them that now he's off the 'roids he's really a nice guy and easy to get along with.

Stapp goes on in his MTV interview to say:

I found out later that you're not supposed to take it for that long. Afterwards [one doctor] said I risked damaging my voice forever and ending my music career. Quote unquote "rock doctors" do what they need to do if they're making money off you. It also made me very depressed and made me feel isolated to the point where all I did was sit in the bus and go onstage.


Could you imagine if Scotty couldn't sing anymore? What would the world do? Perhaps, I don't know, go listen to some good music, maybe take up knitting?

But Scott perseveres. He worked through the pain, through the drug induced Ashley. He did it for the people, and because he was told to. By Jesus (actually he doesn't say that he says that he was told to by the devil, "I was advised not to. I don't want to say by who, but it's whoever advises you as an artist.")

This road induced Ashley was what lead to the class action suit filed against Creed by fans attending one of their shows, seeking damages for the band (specifically Scott's) shitty performance at the show.


Stapp: I've heard the rumors that I was whacked out on drugs, and I can tell you what I was whacked out on ... Prednisone. I was exhausted, but I sang every song. I performed as hard as I could. Basically, the people who sued just wanted the press and attention and money. Everybody didn't sue; it wasn't a class-action suit. I think what got Mark upset was that it was his hometown and two people in the newspapers were bashing his band.


See, here's where Scott shows that he really doesn't have a clue, he's saying that he wasn't whacked out on drugs, but rather he was whacked out on Prednisone, which is a drug. Thus he was whacked out on--wait for it--Drug, not drugs. That's a big difference there slappy.

Not everybody sued for damages, just a few people from the crowd sued. The rest of them just don't have any musical taste or ability to spot a bad show.

At his core, though, Scott is really a quiet sensitive family man.

Stapp: That's exactly what happened. I'll be honest, reading all that stuff really hurt my feelings. I just thought, man, I'm just in a band, doing what I love, and I'm always nice to everyone I meet. I'm a real sensitive man, and I get my feelings hurt. I thought the whole world hated me, and I was depressed.


He's a real sensitive man. These things hurt him a lot. He's not complaining or whining, it only sounds that way in the interview. When Scott goes on to say that he's had medical problems all his life and sings through injuries, tumors and pneumonia, often all of them at the same time, it's just his heeding what the people around him say to keep the band going. Everybody (except the assholes who sued and all the people who don't go) would rather hear a horrible Creed show than wait for him to get better and hear a horrible Creed show.

You know, it's because we really just don't understand God-Man Scotty. He's a sensitive family man with a really good sense of humor, such as this little rib that he let loose on fellow untalented hack Fred Durst:

Also, I don't think some people got my sense of humor. Like that whole Fred Durst thing, that was a joke. When I sent him that anger-management book [after Durst dissed Stapp onstage for not talking to any other bands at a New York radio festival in 2000], I put a note in there that said, "Just to let you know God loves you." It was supposed to be a joke. Because I didn't understand why he did what he did, I was trying to be a smart ass. People took it like I was being serious.


Wasn't that funny? I mean, how could anyone take Scotty seriously?

But in the end, I think the most important thing that we can take away from the breakup of Creed is that they haven't really broken up since the Stappless Creed continues on as Alter Bridge.

Much as other bands who couldn't get along with their lead singers (Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Styx, Iron Dragon, Van Halen, Van Halen, Van Halen), the musicians in the band just went out and got someone who looks and sounds like their old lead singer.

So rock on Creedterbridge, bring us that faux-Christian rock power that only you know how to.

Don't worry about God-Man Scotty, he's doing alright. He's got a single on an album of songs inspired by the film "Passion of the Christ" (but remember don't pigeonhole him as a Christian Rocker, he's not). He's recording with hip-hop producers to see if he can water down that market as well, and he's going to continue on rockin until he and Creed regroup in about ten years when they discover that they don't make quite as much money apart.

Read the entire MTV Interview here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...