Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Useless Copy Protection

I bought Sarah MacLachlan's Afterglow Live CD/DVD 2-disc set today, and on the front on a sticker that won't come off, it says:

The CD in this release is protected against unauthorized duplication. It is designed to play on standard playback devices and appropriately configured computers (see system requirements on back). If you experience playback problems, please go to www.sunncomm.com/support/bmg

And, on the back in the fine print at the bottom it says:

THE CD IN THIS RELEASE IS ENHANCED WITH MEDIAMAX SOFTWARE. Windows Compatible Instructions: Insert disc into CD-ROM drive. Software will automatically install. If it doesn't click on "LaunchCd.exe."...

So, they're counting on you having Autorun enabled, which pretty much every security pundit on the net tells you to turn off.

Since I have autorun turned off, the software didn't install. I checked, and my media players play all the tracks fine, and FreeRip rips the tracks perfectly fine.

So, this software on the disc is pretty much useless for stopping piracy. Not that I'm out to pirate the disc, see, I already bought it, with money. I know there's a chance that someone might buy it and upload it to the internet, but this useless software isn't going to stop that.

Also, I don't think that I should have to install software onto my computer that does who knows what, and agree to an ELUA just to listen to a CD that I purchased, no matter what device I want to use to do it.

So I didn't install it, and I don't agree.

If the RIAA and BMG are so worried about online piracy, they need to concentrate on the online piracy itself, not the people who bought the album.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...