Friday, November 29, 2002

Today I stood at the center of the maelstrom. It was an orgiastic expression of aneristic capatalistic greed led by mob mentality.

Why?

Because I work there, but to paraphrase the words of Dante (Hicks not Alighieri) "I wasn't even supposed to be there today."

Bosses told me Tuesday that I had to come in on my day off, last night to this moring. Then Wed night (my other day off) they tell everyone that people with Thursday off regularly don't have to come in.

Thanks guys, since I cut the out of town vacation with the family to one day.

Then today, what is my job?

Human shield until the time of the big sale, then apparantly to help customers during the sale itself.

I was able to help exactly one customer before the gibbering throng pressed forward and mobbed us.

People suck.

The same people who cut line today, and attempted to wander up to the front right before the sale began are the ones who race up beside slowed traffic on the proper side of a merging road, and then get pissed when you don't let them in.

I suddenly have much less respect for humanity around me.

Therefore today I am taking part in the national purchase boycott that I first read about on disinfo.com. I will buy no merchandise today, though I will buy groceries, though not from my employer.

People the world isn't going to run out of T.V.'s today, or DVD players, or Computers. I promise.

You can trust me, I'm from the television.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...