Wednesday, December 25, 2002

Is Stargate a time-travel movie?

The USA network has a time travel movie marathon programmed for sometime soon that I saw a commercial for. They are showing Back to the Future 3, Time Cop, Stargate and a couple of other films I think.

Stargate is not about time travel. It is about travel to a distant world that bears a striking resemblance to ancient egypt. Unless, that is, I completely misunderstood the story of the film.

This has happened before, and will, no doubt, happen again. For the longest time I was confused by what Clambake, Them, and Naked Lunch were about, but then I finally caught on...They're about girls right?

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but when the sci-fi channel shows Indiana Jones films and Stargate is billed as a time-travel film...It just boggles my mind. Do the programmers actually watch the films? I am fine with genre bending, but if you are going to proclaim a genre, then by God, stick to it.

There is no more room in a marathon of time travel films for Stargate than there is for any movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme on the Lifetime.

In Stargate they travel across the universe, and I suppose owing to the theory of relativity the instantaneous travel could be considered time-travel, as the trip occurs at faster-than-light speeds, but much as I thought too much about why robots would fight over drinking water in a post apocalyptic world in Omega Doom I think I am over-analysing here.

If this loose a definition encompases these films as time-travel movies, then why not have, say Black Sheep or any movie made before the year 2000? Any film would do.

In fact all, as Dave Attel says, all anyone really needs to do to time-travel is drink alot. One second you're at a bar drinking, then there is darkness, then it's two hours later and you're in a different bar drinking.

What was my point again?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...