Tuesday, December 17, 2002

'I had already learnt that even the finest mind is bound to perish if it suffers the infection of journalism. It is not merely that one defiles the mind by inflicting on itslipshod and inaccurate English, shallow, commonplace, vulgar, hasty and prejudiced thought, and deliberate dissipation. Apart from these positive pollutions, there is a negative effect. To read a newspaper is to refrain from reading something worth while. The natural laziness of the mind tempts one to eschew authors who demand a continous effort of intelligence. The first discipline of education must therefore be to refuse resolutely to feed the mind with canned chatter.'
--Not G.Gordon Liddy, but Aleister Crowley

So not only did I get education wrong by studying journalism, but by feeding my readers (and my) minds with canned chatter I have missed even the first discipline.

Oh, woe is me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...