Saturday, April 26, 2003

This is something I'm working on. I told Gunny about it last night, and Tommy should know who it's based on. Could turn into something longer. Hopefully. But this is a rough draft of a character sketch from it:

You probably haven't seen me, but I'm there.

Outside.

Sometimes I'm standing in the shadows, sometimes I'm out in the open, but I'm always there at my post. I'm there just like the postman through rain, snow, sleet and hail, even the summer sun and just plain damn cold.

In case I'm needed.

I watch and I wait, until then. Vigilance is key, and I am vigilant.

Batman has Gotham City, and I have this little area of mine, between the BP and the Quicksack. I keep it clean, I keep it safe. I am like Batman, only without the Utility Belt and Cape, all I have is my coat, hat and sunglasses.

Also my cigarettes, don't know what I'd do without them. There was this one fella, a little guy with long hair, looked a bit like the Nuge, he once told me that I wouldn't be able to exert myself for long periods of time if I kept smoking, but I don't need long periods of exertion, only short surgical strikes with my fists and feet.

I have my Kung Fu to protect me. You have my Kung-Fu to protect you.

I'm here, so you don't have to be. Don't worry about your homes, your businesses, they are safe under my watch (except when I am asleep in the lot behind the Quick Sack, but I am watching astrally even then, ready to awake at the slightest provocation).

Some would ask why I stand here in my coat, why I watch and wait. There is no need to answer that question, for I have already told you.

Quite frequently I see someone who will shortly be up to no good if I do not intervene. I look into their mind, behind their eyes, and it tells me. I read their thoughts. For most, knowing that I know what they will do, and seeing me there watching, knowing of my presence, is enough to dissuade them, but for some I must unleash my Kung Fu.

Before, when I still had my Camaro, I was able to shelter myself in anonymity in the parking lot of the BP where the owners and workers were sympathetic to my plight, but after the Agency sent men to take my vehicle, I was forced to take to the streets.

It suits me fine though, I do not mind sleeping in the field, or standing watch in the rain and snow.

I survive on the kindess of others like the warrior monks who I took inspiration from, Kaine and Bruce Lee. They are my guiding voices, who give me strength when I feel that all is folly and that my task is futile.

The woman at the Quick Sack gives me smokes when the boss isn't looking, and the cook at the cafe lets me eat from the scraps, and occasionally cooks something just for me. I bathe in the restroom of the Quick Sack.

Some ask if I am tired of my duties, but I am proud of the job I do and would have no other.

After all, who else but me will protect you when you are between the Quicksack and the BP? Who else will stop you before you do something you will regret?

Who?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...