Friday, April 04, 2003

Bought some new CD's today Moby's 18 and Slayer's Diabolus in Musica. I believe in keeping it eclectic. Henry Rollins suggested the Slayer album as driving music for maniacs. I tend to agree on that one, it certainly is a crushing album.

Bob Larson has a thing about Slayer. I the book that I read recently by him he talked of his touring with the band at the behest of a music magazine and how he never saw anyone in the crowd smiling. I have to say that that is wrong, because they bring a maniacal rictus grin to my face when I hear them. It brings me great joy to hear such beatifully angry music.

I weep at it.

Just because ignorant metal heads don't know how to laugh at themselves doesn't mean that the rest of us Slayer fans don't.

And by the way, where is my Ramones tribute album anyway? It's not in the case, and it's not in my CD player, so where is that puppy?
I'd kindof like to listen to it again. If you have it, let me know, there might be a reward in it for you.

Also, when did Rolling Stone stop being so much about music as about fashion? It seems it's now written for 12-15 year old girls instead of me. Granted I don't expect every magazine I read to grow with me, but maybe they could at least tailor some of it to an older audience. It's part of the same reason I have decided not to buy Wizard magazine anymore, it's not really for me I don't think. Wizard is more for the collector of comic books, and I am not a collector (though the 25 long boxes would tend to argue against that point), I am a reader. When a magazine pushes somehting like CGE slabbing of books, I just don't think it's for me. The turning point was reading a comment that "Trade-Paperback mania" had finally gone to far when a mini-series has just been completed and a trade is put out the week or month after. They say it kills the secondary market for back issues...so what. The audiences who buy the trades, especially in bookstores aren't going to buy the single issues anyway. I thought the whole point of not printing more than to order was to drive up the back issue prices, who cares then if the trades come out right away? There are still a finite number of backissues for people to buy and have graded.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...