Thursday, January 02, 2003

Are the days of churches that are actual attractive buildings gone?

Here in the 'Boro there have been a number of new churches built in the past year or two, most right down the street from me (close enough for me to go, is God sending me a message? Probably just zoning or cheap land.) One of these is comprised of two big buildings that look like warehouses, rectangular and bland with no windows. Across the street there are two almost identical, gigantic brick buildings that also seem to have no distinguishing features, no steeples, no giant crosses, no stained glass, nothing.

One of these churches is St. Mark's U.M.C. I attended a few services at their old building, which was bought by MTSU to use as something or other, and the old building had character. It wasn't a grand cathedral by any means, but it had some old-school style. Their new building looks like a library, drab and boring.

This brings up the question in my mind, where is the money people give these churches going. I expect big humanitarian givings and whatnot if the best they can do for a building is a warehouse.

But then I worship Satan.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...