Thursday, July 15, 2004

Reading

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

This is a frustrating book. Not only did I correctly guess the final plot twist as the character involved was introduced, as well as his reasoning, but this book has some of the worst writing that I've read in a long, long time.

Brown's characters all come off sounding exactly the same, except some speak Italian. He seems intent on telling you about the characters rather than showing you, and, honestly, if I can figure out a way out of the entire scenario and danger that would have taken them approximately two minutes, then the Vatican Guards should have as well. I just don't buy that they have wireless cameras and have no way of figuring out where the signal is coming from. If you have no one in the area using any form of radio devices, and you only have these security cameras, couldn't you just shut down all but the one camera you are looking for and then use a receiver to find where the signal is coming from?


1/2 Bob


Skin Tight and Tourist Season by Carl Hiaasen

It took me two Hiaasen novels to get A & D out of my mind. Hiaasen is one of the most consistent writers that I've read. All of his books contain zany characters in zany situations and quite a bit of humor. The dialogue is always tight, and he has a knack of giving you exactly the right information to get a feel for all the characters.

Both of the books were very good.


3 1/2 Bob

Live From New York by Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller

This book should have been much shorter than 600 pages. And with all of the presumabley funny people giving interviews is it so much to ask that some of them could be funny in it, sometime, rather than largely just bitching?

There are a few humorous anecdotes, but I think that it's sad that the only time I really laughed at the book was at Chris Parnell (who I don't think is the funniest person interviewed) when he said:

I introduced myself to Tom Brokaw in the NBC gym locker room one day. I said "I'm the guy from SNL who does an impression of you." He said, "Oh, right, I've heard of that." We had a pleasant conversation, actually. He told me about the old days of the show, when Belushi and those guys wer on and he used to come and watch it with his daughters. And he talked about his daughter having gone to Marci Klein's sweet sixteen birthday party at Studio 54.

He was not naked, no. I think I waited until he was getting into his gym clothes to talk to him. It's a beautiful body, though. Glorious.


And this isn't until page 513. I know it's supposed to be a history and not a funny book, but make with the damn comedy allready.

And remember Chevy Chase is a dick and Steven Segal thinks skits about rape counselors trying to have sex with their clients are funny.


1 1/2 Bob

Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk

Chuck is one of my favorite writers. He's the opposite of most of the other books I read in that he crams lots of information and story into short books.

This book is composed of journalistic and other pieces of nonfiction, including profiles of Juliette Lewis and a great look at Marilyn Manson. He also talks to Rocket Guy, and three guys who build castles. He also talks about the basis of some of the parts of his books and about the making of the movie of Fight Club.

A good book, highly recommended.


4 1/2 Bob

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...