Thursday, March 25, 2004

Random Thoughts

  • Watched my first what I assume is new episode of the Simpsons in a long time on Sunday. I thought it was quite good. Homer the Coward vs. the Bear, of particular brilliance were lines such as these:

    Homer: Choke on your candor!

    ...

    Marge: Homer, there's no rear in that thing.

    Homer: I know, but if I get really scared I don't want to ruin the suit.

    ...

    Homer: Why does a bear need a crowbar?


    I also liked the Sprawl*Mart parody, with Abe as a greeter. I also found it quite ironic that there was a Wal*Mart commercial that ran after that segment.

  • Caught an episode of Wonderfalls, and enjoyed it as well. I don't know if they can keep up the cynical, clerks mixed with religious seeking tone while set in a Niagra Falls gift shop, but it'll probably get cancelled long before they are forced to jump the shark anyway.

  • Rented The Rundown and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the film. I think it was a much better showcase of the Rock's abilities than The Scorpion King. The inclusion of the Rock Bottom in the bar fight scene was just as cool as the standing suplex in the fight scene in They Live. I just hope that hollywood gives Rocky more opportunities like this one. Chris Walken was excellent as well.

  • Rented Gothica--another good Dark Castle film. Not overly great, but quality performancs and a bit of mystery that sortof left you guessing if you weren't paying attention overmuch.

  • There are a whole lot of Ladybugs around the place here, only a few are making it inside so far, but I imagine that the number is going to go up as Spring progresses.

  • Found a Mr. Men book here on one of the shelves, Mr. Silly to be exact, hadn't thought about them in quite some time, but I remember them quite fondly from my childhood, almost as much as the Sweet Pickles books.

  • Reading Swifter than eagles : Bill White and the battle of Athens, found it in my Grandmother's books. I'm about half way through and it's reasonably well written. I enjoy reading a book peppered with history of my home town and written with alot of local language (Esperanto). I've found a few typos in the book, such as repeated paragraphs and a couple of misspelled words, and I don't think that Superman ever wore a mask in the old serials like it says in the book, but on the whole it's largely entertaining and informative. I doubt you'll ever see a copy since it's locally published, and the edition I have is signed and numbered, but if you find it and have a taste for regional historical non-fiction novels, then go for it. Read a summary of the 1946 Battle of Athens.

  • Also in my grandmothers books I found a book on New Math for Parents from 1965, as well as a guide-book for physical education for elementary schools in Tennessee from 1962. I'm looking forward to reading both.

    That's all for now.
  • No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...