Friday, November 21, 2003

Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life

I realize that this one came out in theatres quite a while back, but I just got around to watching it on DVD this week.

While this movie is better than the first one, that is not exactly a lavishing of praise, most films are better than the first one.

This movie is an example of why film budgets don't need to be so high and that sometimes computer effects aren't the best way to go.

This movie had some terrible effects work. I thought I was watching one of the early Babylon 5 episodes, or maybe Andromeda. I don't understand why there was the need for a CGI shark, or the shadow monsters near the end. Is the idea of an ass-kicking female Indiana Jones type of character not enough to carry a movie? Indy had supernatural foes, but it wasn't so overdone and unrealistic. I bought it when the nazis were melted in Raiders, but I didn't buy any of this film. They couldn't even get the digital matte-paintings right, often characters were obviously screened in.

I say give Troma the $80 million this probably cost and let them do the picture. Granted Laura'd be fighting giant penis monsters and would be seconded by Kabukiman, but is that so bad? I think the movie would be much more realistic and entertaining that way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...