Thursday, November 13, 2003

Luther
Dir by Eric Till

Joseph Fiennes stars in this a bit overlong historical drama about the famous civil rights leader.

I was very surprised with the decision to go with a white man (Fiennes) in the role of Dr. King, and I was even more surprised that they set the film not in 1960's America, but in Germany a long time ago. That alone seems to dilute Dr. King's message, but they also left out the "I Have a Dream Speech." You'd think they would have at least included a little bit about his assassination as well.

One thing that is for certain after this film is that I really, really want to be a Luthran. In a really bad way.

A nice historical drama with good performances all around. Only the forced bit about the crippled little girl and her pesant mother was overly hokey to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...