Sunday, September 28, 2003

I read a bit

I'm up to an even 70 books on my Read List and i'm calling it a year. That was part of the reason that I started the list, I wanted to see how many 'books' I read in an average year. I think this last year was pretty average.

I started my tally in early October last year, but I put on books that I'd read in the previous couple of weeks. I only included one graphic novel on the list, though I've read probably 100+ this year of those. I think that 100+ easily equals one 'real' book.

I remember back in a summer reading program at the library when I was about 9 or 10 there was a reading competition. You were supposed to read as many books as you could during the summer and keep track of their titles, and then at the end of the summer the ones who read the most would get prizes.

I tallied up the impressive sum of somewhere around fifteen books in the two-or-so months we were allowed. Mind you, these were real books, of the Roald Dahl (BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach) variety, no Hardy Boys or anything like that.

Did I win?

Nope.

Some girl read about 155 books. The books she read were from the children's section of the library. I remember being quite angry and sullen about the whole experience and saying something along the lines of page count needing to be taken into account, or perhaps number of words read.

And people wonder why I was such an angry teenager.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...